With an annual membership close to 1,000 households, Don Mills Residents Inc. is one of the largest and most active residents associations in the amalgamated City of Toronto. Membership revenues support the work of this volunteer organization to maintain Don Mills as one of the finest communities in Metropolitan Toronto in which to live.
The DMRI is a respected voice on behalf of the community at both the municipal and provincial government levels. Divided into 13 Areas, (map), each Area has a Coordinator who, along with the DMRI Officers and other Coordinators, serve on the Executive Committee. The Executive Committee meets at a minimum, once per month.
In advance of federal or provincial elections, the DMRI organizes and hosts all candidates meetings to provide an opportunity to hear first hand the views of the candidates. From time to time, special community meetings are organized to inform and/or collect community opinion on significant matters.
- To foster and promote the active participation and involvement of area residents in matters of common interest to the Don Mills community.
- To formulate and express general policies in order to define, promote, and protect community interests.
- To act as a spokesperson for the community in matters arising from the purposes outlined above.
- Monitoring developments that are either proposed, or in progress in Don Mills to ensure that they are consistent with the character of the community.
- Working to improve community values, and support the work of other organizations in the community such as Community Share Food Bank, Civitan, and Better Living Community Centre (E.P. Taylor Place and The Overland Club) which was formerly known as the Don Mills Foundation for Seniors.
- Current priorities are to monitor and work with Cadillac Fairview and FRAM Builders on the Don Mills Plaza re-vitalization and to work with all concerned parties towards the establishment of a Don Mills Community Centre as part of this re-vitalization.
- Don Mills Residents Inc. funds the legal and other costs associated with addressing the many issues that face our ever-changing neighbourhood through its membership fees and from additional donations. (membership information)
Please inform our Executive of any concerns or comments concerning the Don Mills community or the activities of the DMRI, (DMRI contacts) or by mail to DMRI, P.O. Box 47528, Don Mills, ON, M3C 3S7.